Monumentum

Mithraeum of Rudchester

The Mithraeum of Rudchester was discovered in 1844 on the brow of the hill outside the roman station.
 
 
PublishedMithraeum.eu
9 Jun 2009
Updated on 16 Aug 2021
 
Plan of the Mithraeum of Rudchester

Plan of the Mithraeum of Rudchester
JSTOR / Tertullian.org

 

The full article is reserved for our members.

Log in or create a free account to access the entire site.

A Mithraeum, discovered in Rudchester in 1844 'on the brow of the hill outside the south west angle of the (roman) station' (Bruce).

'The sanctuary was rediscovered 150 yds. outside the south-western angle of the fort, and excavated by Messrs. J. P. Gillam and r. MacIvor. The shrine was built on the original surface of the ground, and oriented to the north-west. The nave is rectangular, 42 ft. long and 26 ft.
 
 

Mithraeum.eu is powered by Enkidū