Monumentum

Mitreo Barberini

The Barberini Mithraeum was discovered in 1936 in the garden of the Palazzo Barberini, owned by Conte A. Savorgnan di Brazza.
 
 
PublishedThe New Mithraeum
17 May 2007
Updated on 11 Nov 2022
 
  • General view of the Mitreo de Barberini

    General view of the Mitreo de Barberini
    WantedinRome.com 

  • Fresco del Mitreo de Barberini

    Fresco del Mitreo de Barberini
    WantedinRome.com 

  • One of the frescoes of Mithraeum Barberini

    One of the frescoes of Mithraeum Barberini
    CoopCulture 

  • Inscription slab of Barberini Mithraeum

    Inscription slab of Barberini Mithraeum
    Pascal Lemaire 

 

The full article is reserved for our members.

Log in or create a free account to access the entire site.

In 1936 in the garden of the Palazzo Barberini a Mithraeum was discovered under a house, which is the possession of Conte A. Savorgnan di Brazza.

The excavated room consists of a central room, on either side of which there is a smaller, narrower room; they are of the same size (probably first cent. A.D.). One of these rooms was changed into a Mithraeum later on. The sanctuary is rectangular (H. 4.42 L. 11.83 Br. 6.25) and is divided into a central aisle (Br. 1.95) and two side-benches, sloping towards the walls. Along the front of the r. bench (H. 0.83 Br. 1.
 
 

Related monuments

Major fresco of the Mitreo Barberini

The votive fresco from the Mithraeum Barberini displays several scenes from Mithras's myth.

Submission scene from Barberini

This scene of the main fresco of the Mithraeum Barberini seems to depict part of the initiation into the Mithraic Mysteries.

Marble slab with inscription from Mitreo Barberini

The inscription mentions the name of the donor, Yperanthes, of Persian origin.

 

The New Mithraeum is a  PAGAN ROME  production, powered by Enkidū