This site uses cookies. By continuing visiting this site, you agree to their use.
To find out more, including how to control cookies, see our privacy policy.

 
 
Monumentum

Mithras petrogenitus from Villa Giustiniani

Mithras rock-born from Villa Giustiniani was holding a bunch of grapes in its raised right hand instead of a torch, probably due to a restoration.
 
 
PublishedMithraeum.eu
14 Jun 2009
Updated on 21 Mar 2022
 
 

The full article is reserved for our members.

Log in or create a free account to access the entire site.

Marble statue, in 1662 'at a sculptor's behind the Capitol' (ms. Gudius), afterwards in the Villa Giustiniani. Acquired by E. Hill, professor in the Faculty of Medicine at Dublin (1781-1830) and bequeathed by him to the Library of the Trinity College at Dublin.

The naked torso of Mithras emerging from a rock. The long, wavy hair is partly covered by the Phrygian cap. In his raised r.h. he holds a bunch of grapes and a part of cloth (see note). He leans his l.h. on the rock, on which a dagger-sheath, an arrow, a bow and the dagger.
 
 

Mithraeum.eu is powered by Enkidū