This site uses cookies. By continuing visiting this site, you agree to their use.
To find out more, including how to control cookies, see our privacy policy.

 
 
Monumentum

Cautes and Cautopates from Mithraeum III of Heddernheim

The two companions of Mithras carry a torch and a shepherd's staff at the third Mithraeum in Frankfurt-Heddernheim, formerly Nida.
 
 
PublishedMithraeum.eu
17 Jan 2022
 
Cautes and Cautopates from Nida

Cautes and Cautopates from Nida
Musée Royale de Mariemont

 

The full article is reserved for our members.

Log in or create a free account to access the entire site.

This statue [Cautes], originally acephalous, came to light in 1887 in Mithraeum Ill at Nida, in front of the tauroctony relief. Destroyed during an air raid in March 1944, after the war the sculpture was restored from the preserved fragments. The pillar and socle are modern.
 
 

Related monuments

Mithraea of Heddernheim

Since 1826, four mithraea have been found at Nida-Heddernheim.

Tauroctony from the Mithräum von Heddernheim

This relief is so well-known that it has been reproduced in nearly every handbook of archaeology and of history of religions.

Aion of Hedderneheim

The lion-headed statue of Hedderneheim is a reconstruction from fragments of two different sculptures.

Aion from Nida

This lion-headed figure from Nida, present-day Frankfurt-Heddernheim, holds a key and a shovel in his hands.

 

Altar with Mithras rock-birth of Nida

The Mithraic stele from Nida depicts the Mithras Petrogenesis and the gods Cautes, Cautopates, Heaven and Ocean.

Key of Mithraeum III at Nida

The key of Nida's Mithraeum III was decorated with a lion's head.

Tauroctony from the Mithraeum III of Nida

The relief of Mithras slaying the bull from Nida's Mithraeum III was found in two pieces in 1887, destroyed during an air raid on Frankfurt in 1944, and restored in 1986.

 

Mithraeum.eu is powered by Enkidū