Monumentum

Altar of Carnuntum by the Jovians and Herculians

This monument bears an inscription and the representation of Cautes and Cautopates on the sides.
 
 
PublishedMithraeum.eu
12 Mar 2022
 
  • Altar of Carnuntum

    Altar of Carnuntum
    Tertullian.org 

  • Left side, Altar of Carnuntum

    Left side, Altar of Carnuntum
    Sacred-texts.com 

  • Left side, Altar of Carnuntum

    Left side, Altar of Carnuntum
    Sacred-texts.com 

 

The full article is reserved for our members.

Log in or create a free account to access the entire site.

Altar (H. 1.50 Br. 0.60-0.87 D. 0.385-0.65) the inscription of which was copied for the first time by Pietro de Lama in 1795. Formerly in Graf Traun's Castle, now in the Museum Carnuntinum.

The back of the altar is rough; its front bears the inscription No. 1698. On the left side Cautes standing, not cross-legged, with an upraised torch and with three ears in his l.h. On the other side Cautopates with torch downwards. In the top a hole and on the top of the front four small holes.
Hormayr, Wien, No. 229; Labus, Ara Hainsb., 9; Arneth, Meilensteine, No.
 
 

Related monuments

Mithraeum of Carnuntum III

Mithraeum III found in the west part of Petronell near Hintausried in August 1894 by J. Dell and C. Tragau.

Tauroctonia de Carnuntum (III ?)

Of this great relief of Mithras slaying the bull only a few segments remain.

Felsgeburt des Mithras

Mithras Petrogenitus, born from the rock, from the Mithraeum of Carnuntum III.

Inscription by Propinquos of Carnuntum

On this slab, Gaius Iulius Propinquos indicates that he made a wall of the Mithraeum at his own expense.

 

Lion of Carnuntum III

Exceptional sculpture of a lion devouring a bull's head founded in 1894 in Carnuntum, Pannonia.

 

Mithraeum.eu is powered by Enkidū